Monday, January 3, 2011

American Girl, or Not

Today, Clara went to an American Girl party. That is, a birthday party for an American Girl. That is, a doll's birthday party. Clara is not a doll girl. At all. As in, everyone showed up with their American Doll and Clara has none. (I believe the phrase was "I'm never ever having a stupid doll.") She considered bringing her horse (that admittedly sometimes wears a dress), but figured she'd just borrow something.

Jeff and I enjoyed the thought of her there. What was going through her mind?
1. Where's the food?
2. How am I going to spin this to Will?
3. Are these people from Mars?

In the end, she was neither enthralled nor disgusted. (Although she desperately hid the party favor locket with a picture of a doll on it from Will.) She was pretty neutral about the whole experience, and talked positively about the outside time. How they slid around in the snow and how Sofie's doll got cold and wet.

Maybe it was the beginning of a career in cultural anthropology.

3 comments:

  1. hahahahaha! I also never wanted a doll. If I HAD to have one, it should look like a real Gerber baby, rubber with moving parts, no stuffed fabric. My family found a perfect baby for me. I don't know that I ever played with it, but I never forgot it. I have dragged my feet on the American Girl dolls as well, although my granddaughters have many. Seems the mothers may want them more. Anyway, there are lots of good materials that go along with the AG dolls, including movies, books and crafts. I think they are here to stay and not a terrible thing. I just wish children were left to craft their own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do AG baby dolls count? There are also little historical dolls I've recently heard about - not even all AG dolls have to be found at the AG stores, I'm told.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clara comes from a line of anti doll aunts on her father's side. Neither of them ever had much use for dolls. I attribute it to the fact that they were born in the late 60s and the dawn of women's liberation. It is probably my fault for not encouraging them - after all playing with dolls for both boys and girls is a step in formation of parenting skills....I think?

    ReplyDelete