Sunday, January 2, 2011

Holiday Traditions, Part III - A Day Hike

One of my favorite holiday traditions is our Christmas Eve hike. In fact, for me that's what marks our holidays in time, at least since we've been having babies. (Please forgive me this indulgence down memory lane):

'02 - With baby Will in Durango
'03 - With toddler Will in San Diego
'04 - With baby Clara in Chautauqua
'05 - With toddler Clara in Chautauqua
'06 - With baby June in Chautauqua (living there in a cabin)
'07 - With toddler June around our neighborhood with lots of snow
'08 - With three little kids in Chautauqua
'09 - With baby John on Boulder Creek, and lots of snow
'10 - With toddler John at Boulder Valley Ranch

It still surprises me to see it in writing. How long exactly have we been having babies? That's why I need our Christmas Eve hikes - to root myself in time, and in the ground.

So anyway, this year, Will and Clara biked a loop, and the rest of us trailed behind. The open space, the clouds, the reflection on the lake - it was an expansive landscape that inspired room in my heart for the season.

(Pictures to follow...)

2 comments: