Monday, December 26, 2011

The Day After - A Hike


The day after Christmas, we ventured on another hike.  Setting our feet firmly on the ground after traveling West to East, we rustled through leaves, grabbed acorns and admired the ferns and moss foreign to our Boulder surroundings.  

I love the thrill of a new landscape.  And I love the simplicity of a winter hike:  The browns and grays make the single cardinal jump out.  The absence of leaves on the trees amplify their height.  The abundance of leaves on the ground make it a thrill to find the acorns hidden underneath.  The stillness of it all lets me focus on my own children running.  And the quiet of it all lets me hear the sound of the single stream.

We returned with new momentos - berries, acorns, sweetgum balls, a fungus-y stick.  They may make it back to Boulder.  Or they may not.  But, I'll certainly bring home the memory.










3 comments:

  1. Hi dear friend - It was in New Jersey near Jeff's mom's house. Believe it or not, on ETS (Educational Testing Services) land. Happy New Year's Eve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear the differences of both places...a surprise to me.

    ReplyDelete