Thursday, January 12, 2012

January Snow Simple

January always feels like a blank slate.  After December's ambition, the calm is welcome, even if it's disconcerting for the first day or two.  Aside from the never-ending busyness of life, my honest ambition for January is to see how simple we can get, preferably outside.

I started to say "how unambitious we can get," but "simple" is not "unambitious."  In fact, sometimes making the kids' lives more simple requires a lot more energy from me, almost trying to hide how much work it is keep our lives running smoothly.

But, it snowed today, and I am reminded that the kids can do simple, on their own.  The slow, quiet flakes inspire it.  My favorite snow scenes to date this season have involved:

Writing in the snow,


Playing "find the stick" in the snow,


Measuring snow,


Digging to Boulder Creek in the snow,


Shoveling snow,


Making sit-spots in the snow,


Sitting in a wagon (moving or not) in the snow,


Making angels in the snow (these days, always June),


And the trusty fallback, eating snow!  (In almost every snow picture I have of Clara, her hand is in her mouth.)

1 comment: