Saturday, December 24, 2011

The Day Before - A Hike

On Christmas Eve, we hiked.  We have done so every Christmas Eve that I can remember.  In fact, if it were my choice, every special day would be preceded by a hike.   Even days that are special because of a hike.

This year, it just so happened that Will and Clara wore coordinated elf colors.  I watched them carelessly plow through the snow, as I pushed June in an overworked stroller.  John opted for his Dad's arms.

But, this is where I experience the holiday lift:  breathing the cold air, watching my energetic and healthy kids, finding hope in the mountains and strength from the sun through the trees, feeling love for my family and gratitude for the beauty of the earth.

I will cherish our Christmas Eve dinner.  I will relish our preparations, anticipating joy and wonder the next morning.  I will even love watching my cinnamon rolls rise after midnight, admonishing my late start.

But outside, during our Christmas Eve hike, any weight of responsibility subsides.  In this tradition, I get to be a child in the woods, too.


















1 comment: