Friday, December 9, 2011

Advent - Give or Take


With the holidays in full swing, I finally got a handle on advent calendars.  It has been a multi-year process, but I figured out something that feels good.  It will continue to evolve.  (In fact, I've only sewn up to December 12th.)  But, here is how it works:

On red tree days, the kids get a gift that comes in the red bag.  Then on green tree days, they give a gift.  Their instructions are written on a little scroll.


Both with giving and receiving, the gifts are things that were already on our list.  Here's are examples:

GIVE:  toys to the local "share-a-gift," granola to our neighbors, bread to the homeless shelter, peanut butter pine cones to the birds.
GET:  socks, vitamin water, pencils, mints, gum

I don't mean to sound too pleased with myself in this post.  Believe me, I really have no room for that.  I'm just happy to have landed on this small ritual that at least makes an effort to highlight the giving and reciveing this time of year.  Especially given the childlike tendency to focus on receiving.  (Their wish lists are pages long...)

2 comments:

  1. My wish lists are always long as well, but I do like to find for others. You amaze me with the dimensional and original ways of adding depth and meaning to all you do with the children

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Alice, I love this alternating of the giving and getting! Frankly, I think this idea is so superb, you ought to write an article about it and try to get it published in a women's or parenting magazine! I am serious!

    ReplyDelete