Tuesday, August 31, 2010

All-Purpose Bread

On Monday mornings, our house smells great! With the big kids getting into a rhythm at school (it happens fast!), the smaller two and I are working on rhythms at home. And Monday is our day to make bread.

To be honest, despite having four kids (and all the research on the merits of ritual and repetition), rituals come slowly for me. I think about things for a long time before I actually implement. I've been working on this particular ritual for two years, but I finally think it's going to stick. I've got June to hold me to it. Plus it's fun.

The bread has a two-fold purpose. One is to get to eat it. (It's so fun to pick up Will and Clara and bring them warm bread.) And the other is to give some away.

Service to our kids means (1) picking up trash when we hike/river slosh/bike, or (2) cooking for people who are sick or having babies. It can be pretty insular day to day raising kids. We have communities through our schools, but we just don't do enough to connect with the larger world. It's something I think about a lot. So we're expanding our "Category 2" service and always make two loaves: one for us, and one to give away - to someone we know who needs some or to bring to our local shelter.

We did this a few times last year but it was bread-machine bread that always looked weird so I felt funny giving it away. But now I'm using an old recipe that is a winner! It came from a friend of a friend of mine at college, and was one her family had been making for years. It's so good, I wish I had learned a few more things from this friend. I certainly had a lot to learn.

For those who like to bake, the recipe follows these lovely pictures of John and his pants.





"Old Fashioned Honey Wheat Bread

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup water
1 cup cream style cottage cheese
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup butter
6 1/2 to 7 cups flour (I use half whole wheat)
2 T sugar
3 t salt
2 packages yeast
1 egg

Heat the 1st four ingredients in a saucepan until they're very warm (I make sure the butter has melted). Lightly spoon the flour into a measuring cup & level it off. Combine the warm liquid with 2 cups of flour and the remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Stir it all up. (Or mix it for 2 minutes at a medium speed. John threw away one of the stirers to our electric mixer, so we do it by hand.) By hand, stir in the remaining flour to make a stiff dough. Knead the dough on a well-floured surface until it is smooth and elastic (about 2 minutes). Place in a greased bowl and cover. Let it rise in a warm place until it doubles in size (40-60 minutes). Grease (not oil) two 9 x 5 loaf pans. Let it rise again. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes.

4 comments:

  1. Groovy, John! I can almost smell that bread all the way to our house, Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. John is such a cutie. Those eyes!! Making bread is indeed a transcendant exercise. I always used the act of kneading as sort of a meditation. We get pounded in life but then when we stop and recover, something new rises.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am lazy and use my Zojirushi, but I love mlh's comments and your baking from scratch. Shuffield7 said she used the recipe and it was yummy (or some other compliment).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about bread machine bread looking funny, but I am lazy, so that's what I do! But I just might try your recipe. I do LOVE the idea of making two, one to keep, one to give away. Inspirational!

    ReplyDelete