Monday, August 9, 2010

MORE Beauty on a Bike

Today was another memorable bike ride for the Summer of 2010. This time, it involved the whole family. Will was the fearless leader, followed by Jeff and smiley June on the trailer, and then me pulling Clara with her arms around sleeping little John in the burley. We rode from Snowmass to Aspen, in a light rain, downhill most all of the way.

Jeff has a saying when the kids are acting spoiled: "Don't be a Willie Wonka kid." Lately, I feel a little like one myself. I've had a summer with a glutton of adventures and indulgences with my kids. And I want more, more, MORE!.

As we cruised down the picture-perfect path, I was in it for the gold. I wanted the part that went through the Aspen tree tunnel, or along the gorgeous Cascade River, or beside the huge farms with lean, muscular horses. I felt impatient to pass the loud airport, cross a busy street, or even make an uncomfortable turn given the load in back.

Honestly, I need to reign myself back in. I've gotten spoiled. Or maybe with school around the corner, I am actually fearing the mundane. Or could I actually be ready for it? It's hard to find a ride much better than the one we had today. It's too much pressure to try.



3 comments:

  1. Oh what a MOTHER you are! I believe in spoiling everyone. Keep reporting the good times, good trips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May the LOVELY LIFE continue. It's all in one's own perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I remember that ride! Yes it was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete