Tuesday, February 11, 2014

My Little Vow: Coffee Cups


This past summer, I had the good fortune of going snorkeling with my kids.  It was a scene of mystical perfection, to watch with underwater altered senses as 3/4 of them dove down in slow motion, amidst such color and beauty, flipping and exploring and being amazed.

After our exploration, Clara and I took the long way back and swam parallel to the shore for a while.  Then, on the heels of my snorkeling reverie, I spotted a paper coffee cup and lid on the ocean floor.  In Mo Willems' "Knuffle Bunny, Too" fashion, when Trixie spots a duplicate Knuffle Bunny, our focus zeroed in on that cup like a telephoto zoom lens.  A coffee cup in the coral reefs!?!?!

I practically burst my eardrums diving down to retrieve the cup, but we walked away with it, along with a personal commitment: no more "disposable" coffee cups.  It's a single drop in the ocean, but it's something.




3 comments:

  1. You're SO good, Alice. Always doing your part to protect this beautiful Earth & setting an amazing example for your lucky children. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've witnessed this vow in action - in normal, everyday life, everyday places. Thanks for making us all think about everday actions making a difference. -- These pictures are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete