Monday, April 16, 2012

The Raspberry Ritual Returns


With Spring officially here, warm weather rituals are returning, like the trip to the nearby raspberry bushes.   Lately, this is a girl activity, but I believe Will started the trend.   

Sometimes "I'm going to the raspberries" is code for "get me out of here."  In our full household, full of energy, I'm ok with that.  I'm glad the escape exists.  I love this particular escape because:
  • the destination is a wild berry bush, whether or not the berries are around,
  • the girls have a tradition of wearing hats,
  • the means of getting there is usually by scooter,
  • it represents thoughtful time,
  • it always involves art and reading and writing, while sitting in the shade on a big rock,
  • even though the idea is privacy, usually the preference is company,
  • even if they left in anger, they always come back peaceful.  
At present, I'm not sure where my proverbial raspberries are, but my girls do inspire me to find them.





1 comment: