Monday, October 10, 2011

Entertainment III: Games


In our household, there is always an "it" game.  Usually one that is discovered, made up, or evolved from random pieces of equipment and an empty afternoon.  The rules are often slightly elusive, but the enthusiasm is always grand.   The enthusiasm lasts anywhere from a week to months.

Lately, the it game is "hockey."  Here are the basics, as much as I can gather:

Players:
Two at a time.  The more observers the better.

Equipment:
(1)  stems from a broken telescope stand or a big unused pole we got from the hardware store
(2)  A tiny rubber ball.

Uniform:
(1)  Females:  Gloves or boots of hats or long underwear.  Changing clothes mid-game is encouraged.
(2)  Males:  Unbuttoned shirts and biker gloves.

Rules:
(1)  One player hits the tiny rubber ball with a stick.
(2)  The other player tries to block.
(3)  The rest, I don't know.  It moves too fast.  That seems to be part of the deal.

Excitement:
(1)  Keep the game moving really fast so that rules can be elastic.
(2)  Lose the tiny bouncy ball every so often so that a side game called "Find the tiny ball" ensues.








It really is a nice thing to have an it game to turn to - for them I mean.  For me, I have some it laundry to do, an it kitchen to clean, some it stuff I'm cooking, some it weeds to pull or rocks to move, and then if I'm lucky, I can grab one minute with my it book.

2 comments: