Sunday, November 14, 2010

Engineering

Today, we went on our first hike of the season. I love cold weather hikes - the sunlight, the crisp air, the feeling of clarity. But, there was one more motivating factor: I want my kids to remember hiking in Chautauqua, all through the seasons, as part of their childhood.

Then it dawned on me: I'm like an engineer. Of the genetic variety, just post-birth.

All parents are really. You have to be. You have to plan. And you can't help but expose your kids to what you love at the expense of other things. It's not slimy. It's just something to be aware of. And goodness knows, there are plenty of times when it all feels like a big science experiment, so a little directed engineering is ok! Right?

Check out the tights June wore for our hike! Can't engineer that! (Nor can I engineer the picture so you can see the whole thing!)




1 comment:

  1. Something happened to the photo...can't see it. But continue the carrying on, the creative engineering...right and left brain you have both.

    ReplyDelete