Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Ritual: The Practicing Rock


John goes to preschool, a few days a week.  Sometimes, I want to live there.  

The minute we walk in the door, we begin our rituals:  John hangs his coat and fills his cubby; I sign him in; he washes his hands; and then... he moves his "practicing rock."  Yes, he moves a rock from one position to another.  But, here are the elements that make it great:
  • it involves a soft, round, solid rock;
  • you get to wrap your fingers around that special rock twice a day, coming and going;
  • the rock calls out to you with your name in gold letters;
  • you get to put your rock into a cool wooden grid;
  • you can do so while wearing a bell around your neck;
  • your cozy rock is surrounded by rocks with all your friends' names on them.
How dreamy it would be to have everyone come home from school and move their practicing rocks.  Ahhhhhh, right.  We are currently working on the "practicing coat." Take off body.  Put in closet."

Still, I do consider myself lucky to get a dose of Zen mind through John's rock.


2 comments:

  1. We all need a little dose of zen mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea --- but I have to laugh at "practicing coat." Right now I'm doing a lot of moving rocks and other things from a suitcase. Would you believe I brought home special ( to me ) rocks from Patagonia? I brought them to share :).

    ReplyDelete