Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Ritual: The Family Selfie


We have a family ritual on my birthday of going to a restaurant that has a wall of mirror windows nearby.  Because it is my birthday, my family indulges me a 5-minute photo shoot.

Up above is our first family "selfie" in that window, before the selfie trend was born.  It must be from 2010.  Since then we've taken quite a few more, to varying degrees of success.  In the process, I realize that family selfies can hold life lessons.  Here are a few:
  • try to catch the best light;
  • be careful what you focus on, not the car in the background, the person walking, or the back of someone's head;
  • keep it centered;
  • keep the camera subtle;
  • stay close to each other, but not so close that personalities get stifled;
  • a little blur is not such a bad thing;
  • black and white can be nice and simple;
  • shut the van door;
  • get up close, but not too close;
  • point straight ahead;
  • look straight ahead;
  • try to keep the family front and center;
  • let John be;
  • be mindful of June's legs;
  • don't let Clara hide;
  • enjoy Will's expressions, subtle as they may be;
  • don't cover up Jeff;
  • catch the moment quickly - it's fleeting;
  • hope for the best!
PS - These are more pictures than you care to see.  Only in two did we half-way get it right.  The others drive home the points above, in photos as in life.











4 comments:

  1. Mid year holiday family portrait ...very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me laugh out loud! Love all of the shots. Could June be any cuter in that first photo?! Oh my.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love! Miss you guys so- the family looks so fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course, I ADORE all these pictures - and agree with Julie that I laughed out loud - and that June couldn't be any cuter --- as I would say about each one in the picture -s. :)

    ReplyDelete