Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Making Things: A Coat Rack


I am thrilled with our new, homemade coat rack.  It isn't actually functional, but somehow that seems secondary.  It was a collaboration primarily between Clara, John and myself.  Here is what we did:

1.  Clara whittled a huge stick / branch.
2.  I found the base of an umbrella that lost its umbrella to a windstorm probably ten years ago.
3.  Clara's stick / branch fit perfectly into the umbrella base.  (This coincidence inspired the rack.)
4.  John hammered holes in some strips of wood.  (See hammer above.)
5.  From John's holes, I screwed the wood onto Clara's stick.

The wood strips are a bit small, and they flop down under the weight of a coat.  Yes, I know the purpose of a coat rack is to hold coats.  But, some of John's jackets are light enough.  And, Jeff's windbreaker hangs on the top of Clara's stick.  Anyway, we made it so who cares?  At least three in this household consider it art.


4 comments:

  1. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS!!! COUNT ME IN AS ONE WHO THINKS OF THIS PHENOMENON AS ART...AND SO USEFUL TOO... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to see it is you, shuffield7.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How very clever. I have one grand who always wants to go to the basement to "make something!" and this will be another possibility

    ReplyDelete
  4. I consider it art, too. it IS clever. I need one of these!

    ReplyDelete