Thursday, November 24, 2011

Wild Turkeys


On a hike earlier this Fall, our family came upon a whole flock of wild turkeys.  We'd heard that they could be found around Heil Valley Ranch.  For years we'd looked for them, but this was our lucky day.

I've come across wild turkeys a few times in my life.  Once in Arkansas and about five times in Virginia.  Seeing them feels different from other wild animal sightings.  It's always unexpected, yet seemingly ordinary at the same time.  They are such familiar animals, but unfamiliar on the trails, certainly those that I walk.  It seems surprising that they could always be around, and more surprising that I hardly ever see them. 

I am thankful for experience of seeing these turkeys in the wild, and I am thankful for the mystery that they evoke.  I am thankful for the mysteries that the holidays can evoke, too.  Although so much is tradition and repetition and ritual to bring out our best selves, surprises can creep through our predictable routines and even our predictable selves.  

Today, we lived our family routines:  Turkey Trot 5k, last minute trip to the store, park time and sports, lots of kitchen time and feasting.  But to be honest, conflict and worry penetrated even a day like today.  

And so, I find solace in those elusive wild turkeys.  Thanksgiving reminds me of the wild turkey mystery of gratitude and forgiveness and family.  I put faith in those mysteries, today and beyond. 







These two posed photos are from a recent visit to a farm.  


2 comments:

  1. Turkeys are a pleasant surprise in the yard when they appear. I am just glad that they don't stay and decide to homestead. Their nests are huge and defensive positions are fierce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard our animal police will approach a coyote but not a turkey. One showed a 7 inch scar!

    ReplyDelete