Monday, November 14, 2011

Homemade Part I: Pillows


In anticipation of a big road trip this past summer, I made some pillow cases for the kids.  

I picked out materials that fit each personality, and a shape on the front that did the same.  I admit, they were for me as much as they were for them.  It made me feel good to see them cozy up with something  they know I made special just for them.  Plus it might help them sleep.   

I finished the last one mid-trip.  I tend to sew everything by hand so it takes a long time.  But, I like the process.  Plus, I don't have particularly good karma with machines.  But, I think they enjoyed watching each stitch and claiming it for their own.

Now, the pillows stay close in every bed and come on every road trip, big or small.  In other words, they continue to be my gift to me.




1 comment:

  1. I just LOVE those and the idea. I make pillows for the grands when I find a fabric that fits one or the other and can think of nothing else to do with it...or I let them stitch up some fleece for one sitting on my lap at the machine. I think YOU of all people, deserve one of the new sewing machines with all the digital instructions and ease of operation. In my dotage I got a Baby Locke embroidery machine that I use as a sewing machine and it is so versatile. Not cheap but not as expensive as the biggies. Your great admirer!

    ReplyDelete