Monday, July 4, 2011

The Storm Before the Calm - Part III

During these summer weeks at home, I am working to "clean up" some of John's habits.

The first involves sleep.  He will be TWO in a week, and I think it's time that I sleep through the night.  (Oh yeah, and John, too.)  He actually slept from 9 to 5 all in one stretch this week, two times in a row.  It was a first.  (By the way, hopefully this post will make others feel a sense of relief that they are doing so well on the sleep front...)

John has always slept with me.  Eventually, he moved to his own bed.  My goal has been for him to make it later and later into the night before he calls / screams for me.  I haven't really done anything to achieve that goal, other than hope.  My current strategy involves proxies:  June and Clara.  And sleepwear:  jeans.  It has become almost superstitious.

The second of John's habits in transition is his potty-training.  Whereas I'm way behind on getting him to sleep, he is ahead of the curve from my other kids on this front.  Again, it's nothing that I've done.  He's  training himself due to his desperate urge to imitate his siblings.  It's quite cute although I'll spare going into great detail.

I do anticipate that our upcoming travel will stir everything up.  I hope he'll go back to his diaper while we're in transit, and we'll just go into survival mode when it comes to sleep.  But, I do know that eventually, the calm to all this storm (if I can call it that) is coming.  Even if it takes a few years.

PS - John cannot take credit for ALL of his recent habits...



No comments:

Post a Comment