Saturday, December 11, 2010

Consumption Part I: Toy Stores

The holidays are here, and my to do list is long. Along with millions of parents, I am consumed with thoughts of gift-giving -- for my children, their teachers, our families, our neighbors.

Ironic really, since the Christmas wish of 1/3 of my household is to have LESS stuff, not more. For one, it is his ONLY Christmas wish.

I'd like to spend more of our resources on experiences, rather than the consumption of things. But honestly, consumerism can feel like an experience in and of itself. Going to a toy store is just that. There's really no need to bring anything home.

Since I am currently in between cameras, I am relying on old pictures here, but many of them capture the thrill of the toy store, enough even to leave all the "stuff" there.









2 comments:

  1. A friend said that when she had one child in school full day and another half day, she would take the latter to the mall or a toy store to VISIT the toys...not to purchase. I love the good toy stores that stretch my imagination...to see what people have come up with new for children. It is the same thrill I get in a good small museum.

    ReplyDelete