Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Cowboy


Our family now has a cowboy in our midst. John is walking. Like a cowboy. He swaggers, turning one entire side of his body and then the other. Plus, he's always in jeans due to his scoot (all our babies scoot, rather than crawl), so he looks even more the part.

He decided to do it just yesterday. Some of our kids have been the "one step at a time" type, while others are more inclined to "just do it." John is the latter, as was Clara. So once he decided to walk, he didn't just take one step. He kept going. But he definitely does it only when he wants to, as opposed to when his siblings want him to.

I confess that I felt a tinge of sadness when it happened. To me, this marks a whole new time. And it means that our last baby is moving forward. He's got plans. But, it's all good. The sad instinct quickly (and with a little effort) gets swept up with happiness. He's so giddy and curious and ready for what's next. It's want you want for your kids. Really.

In fact, it's inspiring. Why not celebrate firsts our adult lives? I really don't want the cheering crowd, but I do like the spirit of internally celebrating firsts, our whole short lives long. So, here are my own quiet celebrations as of late:
  • Completing a 3 hour hike with 4 kids.
  • Harvesting a record number of tomatoes.
  • Eating fresh figs.
  • Buying shoes for John.
Um, I'm having a hard time coming up with firsts.... And this list seems pitiful, certainly when compared to walking for the first time. Honestly, most of the firsts that I'd like to celebrate are on my to-do/wish list. Come to think of it, with John walking now, I'm probably a little closer to doing, and then celebrating, my own firsts. OK - so no more sadness. I've come full circle.

Almost.

3 comments:

  1. I knew he could do it but I also knew it would be hard for you. This is indeed the beginning of a new phase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto what MLH said. Those FIRSTS just KEEP coming. Anticipation and Preparation and Celebration keep us all on our toes. J. looks so cute with his cowboy-swagger look :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Double ditto. I look at those baby hats and think "no more." But I believe in any excuse for celebrations. Ran across a thank you note from you I had saved. Writing so fine!

    ReplyDelete