Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Tooth Fairy



Today, Clara lost her first tooth. All day she kept saying, "Mama, my tooth came out." I am starting to catch on to her budding sense of humor. In the past, I would have thought that she was unaware of the repetition. Now, it's a joke.

For so long now, I have been immersed in and consumed with my very young kids. Yesterday, I had a reminder that the future will come. And that it's good to be a little bit prepared. I went to a great introductory talk about Nature-based Rites of Passage for girls. It was inspiring and daunting at the same time. I am inspired to have this new great road, but I do have fears about the loss of innocence.

Then I spent today making a tooth fairy pillow. I had to re-sew the tooth pocket three times to reach Clara's satisfaction. She was worried that the fairy wouldn't be able to get through the pocket to the tooth. No loss of innocence yet here.

While I sewed, Clara couldn't part with her millimeter tooth (Gosh, they are so tiny!), but she lost it probably 12 times. Wise older brother Will kept telling her not to panic. (His wisdom is knowing that she would.) But remarkably, she didn't.

I do know she's growing up. They all are. And with that thought, I like that she says, "My tooth came out." Somehow, not using the word "lost" reminds me that nothing is lost. It's really not. That thought helps me embrace the future, and to let go a little, too.




5 comments:

  1. That is so cute! Will you share your insight with me about the future? I feel pretty confident dealing with the boys but need help with what a teenage girl will bring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such sweet thoughts, Alice. When Clara called yesterday to tell us about her tooth and that you were making a pillow for it, I asked, "What will happen?" Clara said, " I don't know." Innocence preserved or honest mystery? All of that is involved in growing up. What lucky children to have YOU for a mom :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post reminds me of a video I watched today about the eventual necessity of letting go, and learning to do that a little at a time, by fulling appreciating the present:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olSyCLJU3O0

    Warning: watch with tissues!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I think letting go never ends. But that is the great mystery of life. Letting go.

    ReplyDelete