Saturday, May 29, 2010

Reality

My summer has begun with 3 days of only 3 children. Jeff and Clara are on a trip. I had some projects planned, and aimed to set some summer routines, but I can tell already that I need a reality check. For example:

Goal: Make a fountain in the backyard, a la Sunset Magazine, to surprise Jeff and Clara.
Reality: Spend the day lounging on the creek.

Goal: Inspire kids to ride bikes as much as we can.
Reality: They now refuse to drive. You can't get much at the Hardware Store with one kid on a bike and two in a burley. But we did it, and then biked home in rain, a thunderstorm, and hail. Will crashed about half-way home.

Goal: Spend lots of time at home.
Reality: Will asks me to play tennis with him every 3 minutes in the makeshift backyard "court." It's fun, but I have other kids. And a house. And a yard. And a stomach.

I anticipate learning a lot this summer and hope to appreciate having days that meander.




3 comments:

  1. I am in tune with the last picture. You have a lot of energy, Alice...the kids may or may not catch up with your energetic goals, but I admire your having them! Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, goals! How I identify! I too make them, and fail to meet so many! But your "meanderings" are events that your children will store up in their memories--riding home in a rainstorm on bikes! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see that Sunset pond in the backyard. And, the tennis court!!! Curious how close the creek or river is. Are you in Heaven? Is that a sketchbook or planbook in the net? Carry on! Good job!

    ReplyDelete