Wednesday, May 12, 2010

My Mood is Like the Weather

Today, it is full blown wintertime in Boulder. The weather this time of year is hot then windy, then cold, then rainy, then snowy, and then cycle begins again. And today, I find that my mood is like the weather.
  • Good Mood - I wake up next to happy John and sleepy June and cuddly Clara. (Jeff dragged in from a twin bed somewhere, maybe the pink top bunk in the girls room. He looked beat.)
  • Bad Mood - June has huge temper tantrum getting dressed.
  • Good Mood - I have coffee with chocolate milk, my new favorite thing.
  • Bad Mood - I read about the oil spill in the paper. I cry over my coffee.
  • Good Mood - John goes to sleep for a nap.
  • Bad Mood - John wakes up a mere fifteen minutes later.
  • Good Mood - We go to the bookstore, and I spontaneously buy three books.
  • Bad Mood - I pick up Clara at noon and realize I forgot my volunteer walk to the library yesterday. I love that walk. And it was the last walk of the year. Of her entire life as a kindergartener. How could I forget? Second cry of the day.
  • Good Mood - I make chili with vegetables that were so old, they would have been inedible the next day. OK, in about an hour. (I don't like wasting food.)
  • Bad Mood - Clara and June fight, and fight and fight.
  • Good Mood - Clara and June take a fighting break. John goes to sleep.
  • Bad Mood - John wakes up fifteen minutes later. Clara and June continue fighting.
  • Good Mood - Clara and June are best friends. Will is home and smiling.
  • Bad Mood - While Clara and June play "Mamas & babies," June (the Mama) says, "Now it's time for Mama (June) to clean up all your toys." Is that what they think? It's Mama's job to clean up all the toys? Of course that's what they think! I've blown it.
  • Good Mood - Jeff gets home before bedtime.
  • Bad Mood - I have no idea where to send all the kids' thank you notes that they worked on today since I lost my address book, about 8 months ago!
  • Good Mood - It's bedtime. Sleep time. The house is quiet, minus Jeff's working and my typing. It doesn't even matter what bed anyone is in - most are certainly not in their own. (John is in mine, Clara is in June's, with June, which means one of them will soon be in ours.)

Tomorrow, things are supposed to start warming up and clearing up, too. Like Jeff wrote to Clara this morning, after her huge tantrum the previous night, "It's a brand new day."

Last week:

Last weekend (and those are flowers on the tree, not snow):

Today (and that's snow on the trees, not flowers):
This minute:

3 comments:

  1. Hilarious and so cute - and so full of energy from a Mom who should be exhausted ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only the other day I was wondering if your children ever fought! I remember my Kathy saying--maybe I earlier commented about this--every time we had a visit with your family that "Alice and Sally get along better than any siblings I know!" But yours, and YOU, are not paragons, after all! My hardest times as a mother were the months we lived in Nebraska, were confined to the house way too much, the skies were always gloomy and dark, and it seemed that the kids fought all the time! But soon we moved to Texas, they could play outside nearly 12 months of the year, and then it seemed that only on long car trips was this fighting constant! "This too shall pass," and I am grateful that your days are full of enough good times to counter the bad ones! Love, "Big" Alice

    ReplyDelete