Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Pretty

When Clara was a baby, she gave me a scratch on my nose with her little fingernails that were so hard to keep short. But her little scratch remains a lovely red dot, right in the middle of my nose.

I always told Clara it was my special mark, but I probably should have played it down a bit. When Clara was 4, she determined to make a similar mark on her own nose. Two years later, it's still there.

John joined the club a few days ago. He had a little tumble on the back patio that made a big scab right on the tip of his nose.

I saw little June scratching her nose today, and I asked her what was up. She said, "I want to be pretty. Like you and Clara." At first I didn't get it. Then I did. I tried to convince her that the beauty mark beside her eye is her equivalent.

While I do not share her opinion, I appreciate her view. What you see every day, that's "pretty."

3 comments:

  1. I too often note that men and boys are also pretty, but I try not to say it since it carries a different meaning to them. Granted, I am not too precise with words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Mom and "Aunt" Alice: Oh, no! Please, no more intentional scratches! You are all too pretty! We two are having fun; more later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often wonder if you and Clara should have a doctor look at those nose scratches. they have stayed too long! I wonder why.

    ReplyDelete