Sunday, February 14, 2010

Organized Confetti




For a short while, during our Valentine-making fiesta, we were in the zone. Honestly, I was in heaven. The girls were heads-down focused on their creations. Everyone was doing their own thing, but participating together in a common goal. I felt the pulse of the universe amidst all the painting and cutting and glueing and drawing and glittering and markering and stickering and ribboning and hole-punching. Our long rectangular table was packed! Mind you, we did have some order amidst our big bang-like creations. We had tiny little bowls for various colors and sizes of of hearts, beads, glittery stuff. And we were efficient, even environmentally conscience. We kept a little bowl for all our scraps to use later for dinner decorations. Basically, my role with the Valentine-makers was to organize confetti.

This makes me think about infinity. Oh my gosh, there is NO END to our little-pieces-of-paper creations. Yet I live for this stuff! I think about these little projects all the time. And after Valentines Day, there will be Easter. Then after Easter, we have a quick line-up of 6 birthdays. After all our birthdays, there is the fall (endless outdoor crafts). Then comes Christmas, and back to Valentines Day again. I could literally organize confetti for the next 10 years. And then soon after I'll (hopefully) have grandkids, and I'll be organizing confetti with them! So, maybe this is my life's purpose! But will all this work and energy ever lead to "great art?" Like the stuff you see on my Sunday Morning show? I do want to reach a higher ground.

Then I turn my attention to the music we are listening to as we work, music that inspires June to hum along, even slide from her stool and move her beautiful arms in ballet-ISH poses. Some guy is singing, "I like cool beverages, uh-huh, uh-huh." OK. Our art is just fine. Maybe it's great. Maybe we are right there with the best of them.


1 comment:

  1. You and your family are among the greatest works of art the world has ever known! I love your blog and what it says about your outlook on life!

    ReplyDelete