Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Welcome That


Welcome that.  I haven’t written here with that spirit in mind in a long time.  I continue to reach for the feeling, though, to welcome things that come with growing children, new challenges, new conflicts, life's responsibilities.

But today, I cannot find gratitude for Hilliary’s loss, or for Trump’s “victory.”  No “well this can be good because….”  Gratitude for the elevation of racism, sexism, violence, the abuse of our planet? 

No.  Today, here is what I welcome:
Hillary's speech.  The words of a heart-wrenching champion.  
Tears of parents at my school who care so much.
Friends who, after a day of mourning, will mobilize and inspire.
The chance to feed chickens, a dog, a cat, and horses next door.
The soft morning faces of my children.
Teachers whom I trust.
A loving family, husband, sister, and mother.
Forever, the sun, the sky, the mountains and the trees.

Today, I am breaking open to find the space to welcome.  Tomorrow I will plant bulbs, and a manifesto with motivated friends.  No more complacency.  No more missing chances.  We have to love and love and love.  Plant seeds for our children and love.





3 comments:

  1. Damn, I'm crying again. Beautiful, Alice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the much needed inspiration Alice. Words from a wise woman.

    ReplyDelete