Friday, September 19, 2014

Apples


After school, John and I made a pie.

While it is easier to experience the ideal in a picture than to live it, we grabbed about 5 minutes that did actually feel idyllic.  Our formula went like this:
  • Catch a beautiful Fall day.
  • Find a quiet porch surrounded by trees.
  • Don't worry too much about a clean table, or clean people for that matter. 
  • Produce a bunch of apples and an old fashioned apple peeler.  (The old-fashioned always seems to up the idyllic factor.)
  • Seize on a five-year-old's curiosity for stabbing an apple and turning a crank.
  • Hold his attention for say 5-10 minutes tops.
  • Get educational with the apple peels.  (If I form almost all the letters by default, maybe he gets something out of it.)
  • Add a loyal dog, if possible.
I do have to move fast to keep John's attention and squeeze in these scenes that make me feel so good.  Granted, after 15 minutes of apple peeling, I moved on to assemble the pie, while John made airplane fighting sounds with a pencil. 

But, I somehow have faith that these 5 minutes do get mileage, in the form of connection (to the season and each other), a sense of accomplishment, and a memory.  I know the memory sticks because John's siblings came home and talked for 5 minutes, about their 5 minutes last year, doing the very same thing.

But then again.... maybe it's the pie.  











5 comments:

  1. I think the dog would enjoy the apples just as the horses do. He or she showed great restraint. I want an apple pie as well. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea --- I love the names too! What a fun fall activity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love one of those peelers! I never thought to peel apples with the grandkids, but I think the two younger boys especially would find it fascinating. One of them--Dawson--is quite the cook, and he'd love to help with the pie, too! Charming pictures, and like Linda and your mom, I love the names!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I intended to write "have" rather than "love" in the first sentence!

      Delete
  4. Apple peels, a fall day, a sweet child, and a good dog....life is indeed good.

    ReplyDelete