Friday, March 1, 2013

Haircuts Happen


I usually take on the haircuts in our household.  I am attached to the idea for numerous reasons:  It saves gillions of trips to the haircut place.  It saves money.  And it can be a sweet ritual at home.  

But recently, the haircut did not go so well.  I saw that it was not working, but did not immediately react...  I was sure I could just hold the trimmer differently, or hold his hair differently and make it right.  It took me a while to realize I'd forgotten to attach an essential part, without which the result is skinhead.  Sweet John sat there so innocently, looking out the window.  Clueless.  

I imagine two opposing motherly states of mind.  One is hyper-aware, alert to everything.  Sometimes painfully aware.  Reacting in a split second.  The other is a blindly persistent view, determined to forge forward, even through a sea of obstacles.  Next time, I'll be sure I'm in that first state before I pick up the trimmer.  We did get to enjoy some nice "Flock of Seagull" video comparisons out of the deal.



1 comment: