Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Ritual: The Mail Run


In our old house, our mailbox hung right next to the front door.  With our move last summer, we gained the ritual of strolling down a driveway to retrieve our mail.  Short as the walk is, it has become an event.  We walk.  We stroll.  We scooter.  We bike.  Sometimes it's a chore.  Sometimes more.  But, I welcome adding this to our list of rituals.

As I consider our many rituals, I must acknowledge that they are superimposed on a what could easily be considered quite a chaotic foundation.  We are always working towards a state of order and accomplishment, but we certainly never get there.  Does anyone really?  But, in large part, that is why I reach for these rituals, pick them up out of obscurity.  Their light makes sense of the chaos and keeps us, or certainly me, afloat.





5 comments:

  1. We have the same ritual :). s

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walking to the mailbox is a wonderful ritual full of expectations. How wonderful if one finds a fat letter from someone dear. These days those are few and far between! Still the expectations remain. Lucky JC!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alice, I just love reading your writing and seeing the world through your eyes for a glimpse. Also, I love seeing photos of the kids growing, you are all so amazing! *Adley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Adley, you warm my heart! I hope all is well in your world. I think of you so often! Thank you for writing, and reading, too! So much love!

      Delete
  4. a lining up those cars on anything and everything !!!

    ReplyDelete